Jessica Rice: The New Global Student

The purpose of life is to live it. to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Churrasco de Rotary!! (Rotary Barbecue)

Last Sunday I was invited to go to a Rotary "churrasco" or barbecue. Churrasco is very popular here I think because it combines two things that Brazilians love: food and people! Sure, we have "barbecues" in the USA but they don't compare the "churrasco" of Brazil!! Take a look at my photos and you will see why!
 

 
The spread! We had rice, mandioca (my favorite food here in Brazil!!) farinha de mandioca com carne (mandioca flour with meat which is also one of my very favorite things in Brazil!), fruit, salad, banana bread, and of course, MEAT!! And lots of it! So delicious!

 
I never saw this at a barbecue in the USA! Look at the apple bird! So cute!!!

 
Farinha de Mandioca! Yummm! Lots of people mix it with beans and rice and stuff like that. I just like it plain. Regular mandioca is to the right in the picture. You can kind of see it. It's like a mixture of a potato, banana and squash. It's really dense with a hint of sweetness! I've had it fried, boiled, baked, in bread, in flour, in stew, in biscuits, in stir fry, in chips, mandioca EVERYTHING! But it's gooooood! Reeeealy good!

 
 
This guy came as the entertainment. Wow! It was incredible! I can't remember his whole name but his first name is Marcelo. He was also very nice and told me about the history of the guitar in Brazil. Guitar in Portuguese is "violão" which is unique to Brazil because every other country in the world uses something similar to "guitar" or "guitarra" (unless you're speaking Chinese I guess!)
 
 
To the left is Anita, the Rotary Club President, Marcelo, me, and my Rotary counselor Luiz.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment