Jessica Rice: The New Global Student

The purpose of life is to live it. to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, September 6, 2012

What I've Been Up To....

I've been a busy girl since I last updated my blog! I've never had so many friends in my life and I'm loving being busy having fun going out almost every day!
Last week my host mom, Lais, took me shopping at one of the malls in Campo Grande. This mall was connected with a supermarket kind of like Costco minus the samples! We had fun looking at all the clothes but not buying any. Everything is expensive and I didn't find a lot of things I liked. But I was excited to see that they had colored pants in one of the stores!! I miss colored pants!! I must start the trend here!!
 
This picture may look random and weird but it's actually way cool because the model I'm smiling next to is my cousin Camila!! I just talked to yesterday on skype and she is just as beautiful on  Skype as she is as a model of a shoe store! My cousin is a super model! haha! She's also coming to visit on Saturday!
 
Last Friday I had to get a letter from the police or they would send me home. So after a morning full of business and running around, my host mom and I went to a nice restaurant called "Fogao de Minas". I had some interesting experiences inside that restaurant...
 
 
My host mom put three things on my plate and told me to try them. She wouldn't tell me what it was first. After I tried them she told me that the yellowish worm on the left is cow stomach, the center piece of meat is cow liver, and the meat on the right is cow tongue!!! I really didn't like any of them but the least repulsive was the cow tongue surprisingly! The worst was the liver! It was terrible! I'm so glad she didn't tell me or I wouldn't have tried it at all!

 
This is chicken and it was really good. I got two servings of it. I thought it was cooked in herbs. After I finished my second serving of it my host mom told me what the black stuff was that I thought was herbs. It was BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost gagged! Chicken in BLOOD!!!! Oh my heck I about died!

 
This I didn't try at Fogao de Minas but I thought I'd include it. Those black things are chicken hearts! Yes, I ate a chicken heart and I knew it was a chicken heart beforehand too! It tasted like...chicken!
 
 
After Lais and I were done with all our business with police I went to seminary and then went to my friend's house to practice in our "band!" We played "Dust in the Wind" and ate hot dogs.
My friend's names left to right: Vitor, Pedro, Humberto, and then me. They all play the guitar and Vitor also plays the violin.
 
 
Saturday I went with Humberto to his friend's house. We played Just Dance and Egyptain Rat Screw - my two favorite games ever!! It felt like the USA...kind of! Everyone thought Egyptian Rat Screw was awesome and so I've already spread some America culture in Brazil! Afterward we went out for sushi. I HATE fish and the whole world knows so when I told my host mom I was going out for sushi she was surprised and she called me twice to make sure! Haha! Yes, I tried it but I didn't like it at all! I didn't even like sushi with strawberries and no fish! It must be the way they make the rice. I ate soba instead and it was very delicious!
 
 
Sunday I went with Lais to a show at the park. They have a big show there for free the first weekend of every month. This time the band was called "Cidade Negra" a reggae band! I really enjoyed it but didn't recognize a single song of course!

 
This is Paulo. He helps out at the Pesque Pague and is way nice! He helped me a lot when I first arrived since he speaks English fluently. He still helps me a ton and I really like him! He's a good friend.

 
I like this picture because on the left is a REALLY drunk guy! There were lots of interesting people. A mother and her daughter came up to me and asked me where I bought my shoes. I said, "Sorry, I bought them at a store called PacSun in the United States!" I miss PacSun!! 
 

 
 
Everyone told me that there were hardly any people at this show and that many times there's twice as many! It's because people in Campo Grande like a type of music called "sertaneja" which is like country. My host mom HATES sertaneja!!
 
 
Yesterday I went to my friend Vitor's house after seminary to hang out and eat dinner. We had pasta with hot dogs- Humberto's special creation!
With me in this picture is my friend Aline. I love her so much! We have a lot of fun playing card games and talking. She also speaks english very well but we mostly just speak portuguese.

 
In this picture is Aline, me and my friend and Aline's boyfriend, Willkes. Everyone likes to tease me because I also give a thumbs up to everything and it's automatic! They say, "Jessica, do you like this movie?" Yes! Thumbs up! It's just automatic!

 
Willke's attempt to play the violin! Pretty hilarious!! Haha!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment