Jessica Rice: The New Global Student

The purpose of life is to live it. to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, August 24, 2012

Desperdida de Maria Dolores

This morning my sister, Maria Dolores went away to Mexico on  her own exchange adventure. I can't believe she's already gone! I only got three weeks with her but I'm so grateful for the time I had. She really helped me adapt to the city and make new friends! She also saved my life on the busy roads many times since I was clueless about the traffic laws and patterns when I came!! Obrigada minha irmã!!
Last week we had a party for Maria at a pizza restaurant. We had pizza "rodizio" style, where waitors come out with all sorts of different kinds of pizzas on trays and ask who wants what type of pizza. I sampled all sorts of different kinds. Most Brazilian pizzas don't have sauce, have a thin crust, and lots and lots of cheese!
 
Outside the restaurant after dinner. I don't remember everyone's names.
Left to right: Bruna and her boyfriend (can't remember his name!), Maria, Arthur, (don't remember the names of the people behind Arthur and Maria!) Bruno, behind Bruno: Maria Luisa, Rodrigo, me, and I don't remember the names of the people on my right! Sorry!
One of the biggest challenges in Brazil is remembering everyone's names! I have to remember vocabulary, grammar, think about what people are saying word for word, and then remember each name! It's stressful! Haha!
 
 
Wednesday night some family came over to have dinner and say good bye to Maria. It was soooo cute watching Ana Clara (white shirt), and Awara (pink dress) play the piano! They are the cutest little girls!
 
 
Thursday after school in the morning I went home and many of Maria's friends were there! My host mom said I could skip school in the afternoon and hang out with Maria. (On Tuesday and Thursday I have school both in the morning and in the afternoon with a 90 minute lunch break inbetween)
Names left to right: Victor, Arthur, Humberto, Paulino
Humberto made lunch for all of us which was very nice of him! Then we had ice cream soup because the fridge was broken! Yumm!
I taught them Egyptian Rat Screw and I think it was a hit! Of course, when I played I won every time! I ALWAYS win Egyptian Rat Screw! That's why it's the best game ever! hehe!
 
 
Maria and her friend Juliana
 
 
 
 I taught Arthur how to play a duet on the piano. All Americans recognize it but I'm not sure what the name is! Is it called chopsticks...? We had a great time playing it over and over and over!
 
 
After I taught Arthur how to play piano, he taught me to play the guitar. At least he tried... It was so hard!
 
 
Can't wait until I'm a master at guitar! haha!
 
 
Friday morning we drove Maria to the airport.
Names left to right: Ana Laura, Arthur, Maria, me
 
 
Yes, ebarrassing picture. We crammed four people in the back! Bruna is on my right.
 
 
At the airport before Maria's departure to Sao Paulo.
Names left to right: Ana Laura, Bruna, Maria Dolores, Maria Luisa, Arthur, Jessica, Denisse
 
 
Saying good bye to Maria! We will miss her!
Names left to right: Mariana, Ana Laura, Bruna, Maria Dolores, Maria Luisa, Denisse, Arthur, Jessica, Lais
 
 
I'm so blessed to have such a great host sister!! Can't wait to find out all about Mexico!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment