Jessica Rice: The New Global Student

The purpose of life is to live it. to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Church Activities!

Friday night I went to the stake dance in Campo  Grande! Stake dances are way more popular here than they are in Utah. It was luau themed and the decorations were so great! It was my job to tell the DJ to switch songs if I heard anything bad since I was the only one who really understood english! That was a pretty important responsibility I think! I had an awesome time and made lots of friends! I also learned to dance to Paraguayan music!

 
My friends left to right: Juliana, Larisa, me, and Sabrina. Larisa and Sabrina are my bishop's daughters! They are the sweetest girls in the world!
 
 
My new friends left to right: Tiana, Fred, Deborah, Isabela
 Guess how old Deborah and Isabela are...
Fourteen-years-old!!! Crazy right?! They are the kindest people and really took care of me at the dance! They always made sure I wasn't alone and was having a good time.
 
 
My friends at the dance invited me to the mutual activity Saturday morning starting at 9:00 am and lasting until 3:00. Very different from mutual in the USA starting at 7:00 and ending at 9:00 on Wednesdays! It was really fun! We played volleyball and I learned that Brazilians are WAY better at volleyball than Americans!! The girls went shopping to get popscicles and ingredients for "brigadeiro". When we came back we made stroganoff for lunch. It was very delicious! Brazilian stroganoff is different than American stroganoff. I think it has more ketchup or something. But it was tasty! We ate it with fried potatoe pieces and rice. The potato pieces taste just like potato chips just in little flakes. They're very popular in Brazil I have found! Personally, I'm not a huge fan but most people are. I'm really weird-that's the other thing I have learned in Brazil!!
I loved hanging out with my friends from the church! It was so fun to spend time with people I could really relate to because we share the same values and beliefs. I felt right at home!
 Brazil feels like home to me now.  I'm loving every minute I have here!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment